Bioproducts and BioEnergy
Bioenergy is renewable energy made available from materials derived from biological sources. Biomass is any organic material which has stored sunlight in the form of chemical energy. As a fuel it may include wood, wood waste, straw, manure, sugarcane etc.
Bio-products are the application of plant-derived resources as an alternative to non-renewable matter. This sustainable approach considers the entire product life cycle from its agricultural origin to its overall renewability. Bio based innovation in the production and content of commonly used items assures consumers of improved environmental well-being without compromising product performance.
Some Benefits of Bio products
- a diversified and stable bio economy sector that strengthens overall economy
- farm diversification resulting from additional uses of agricultural feedstock
- development of new industries and products
- increased economic opportunities for rural communities
- reduced dependence on non-renewable fossil fuels
- reduced greenhouse gas emissions in the manufacture of some bio products, compared to petroleum-based equivalents
- increased safety for the environment, reduced toxicity and more biodegradability
- sustainable production of renewable feedstock
- potential production of inexpensive medicinal drugs and vaccines
- development of new drugs not available from traditional sources